Saturday, December 11, 2010

Forgotten

Last night, I dreamt this really crazy dream. Bryan, Abby, and I were in a small trailer in the middle of nowhere fighting off people that wanted to kill us. In one part of my dream, Bryan left and never came back then I was killed a little while later. Instead of my dream ending there, it turned into this odd slow-mode slideshow of photos of Abby growing up without parents. It had her playing with her toys alone afraid at night. Getting more independent as she needed to be to survive but all of the while sad.

When I woke up in the early hours of the morning, I was so emotional. Obviously, it's a dumb dream, but the horror of a child... my child not having a family to love her and to care for her. The way it felt to see her alone was crushing.

God spoke to me in the quiet. This is what it is like to be one of the forgotten children in the world. One of the orphans on the street. This is why you should care.

At Christmas time this year, we're overwhelmed with our own needs. We're finishing paying off medical bills from my miscarriage and now my MRI stuff with my knee. We're working hard to save up for Bryan's seminary tuition which is a good chunk of money. So, this year, wonderful things like Lottie Moon just seem a little too much at times. I really do love to give. I just know how far our money needs to stretch.

I pray that God will stir your heart too this season to give generously until it hurts... so that forgotten children will meet Jesus, the One who has been there for them all along. So those who are hungry will be fed. So that those who walk in darkness may see the light... our Light.

Let's be like King David, a man after God's own heart, who said, "I will not offer burnt offerings to the Lord my God that cost me nothing." Let's not give in a way that does not cost us anything. After all, Jesus has given us everything.

Let's be joyful givers this season so the world may know and love Jesus too.

I am praying you will. I will.

No comments:

Pin This!