Tuesday, March 15, 2011

How Am I Doing?

We have so many great friends... near and far.  People that we have stayed in touch with, and people that stay in touch with us through our blog.  One of the most frequent questions we are asked is, "How are you doing?"  Depending on the moment, the answer varies.  This morning I woke up and was having a tough day.  I was overwhelmed by all of the change that has occurred in our life in just a matter of weeks, and being sick on top of it all, just made everything too much.

Last night, Bryan and I took Abby to visit our families at Ridglea's revival.  While we were there, I noticed another kid wearing these really cute glittery, flashing sneakers.  Being a mom who loves artsy, cool styles, I thought to myself, "I love those shoes, but that's just not something I can give Abby right now."  If you know Abby, you also know she does not need shoes right now.  Grandma has bought Abby shoes, and a close friend gave us a bagful of hand-me-downs from a relative.  Abby has plenty of nice shoes.  Anyhow... back to the story.  I simply dismissed the shoes as a want not a need and continued on my way thinking that the journey we are on will mean that there are a lot of wants that will just not happen and that is ok.  Jesus is worth the sacrifice.  After all, it's just shoes.

Today, I was thrift store shopping to find bookshelves for all of Bryan's books.   While I was walking towards the furniture section, I noticed these shoes.  I did a double take and almost started crying when I saw they were in Abby's size.  These were sparkly, super girly sneakers that blink when your kid walks.  Does Abby need shoes?  No.  Did I buy them?  Absolutely.  For $1.67 (tax included), God provided the very shoes for Abby that I had felt were an impossibility the night before.  This may not seem like a big deal to you, but I am balling as I type this.  God has been so faithful to our family.  He loves me in this insane way that I don't deserve but in such a way that I desperately need right now.  God is listening not only to my prayers but is studying my wants.  He is lavishing His love upon me in a way that just overwhelms me.  God is so good, and because of Him, I'm o.k.  His love is wonderful, and His grace just blows me away.  I still can't get over how much He loves and pursues me.  It's humbling.

Ephesians 1:7-8 "In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace, which He lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight."

No comments:

Pin This!