Monday, February 16, 2009

Cowardice Equated With Murder


Today, I was writing a sympathy card for a church member who lost her mother last night... I've been thinking about death a lot lately. Not to be morbid- just to avoid regrets one day. I've been evaluating my life and where I am now- am I happy and satisfied about where my life has taken me? Where do I want to be in the future? How do I want people to remember me? How will Abby remember me?

I was meditating on the scriptures in Revelation chapter 21 about how beautiful heaven will be and how glorious it will be to bask in the presence of God Most High day and night. These verses captured my attention...

"The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be His God and he will be my son. But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death." Rev. 21:7-9

I was convicted about how often I fear man and am cowardly in my walk with Christ. Until I read this passage, I have never placed my cowardice on the same level as murdering someone. Yet, it is just as shameful and sinful in the sight of God. As many times as God commands us not to fear in the Bible, it does make sense for wrongly placed fear to be a sin. May God purge me from any cowardice and replace it with a boldness that only the fire of His Spirit can ignite. May I only fear God and God alone. How much that would change my life's journey to truly fear only my God!

No comments:

Pin This!