Thursday, November 6, 2008

Hope of the Nations



The last few days have certainly been eventful for our nation. My coping method for election night has always been the same as the way I treat hurricanes... I sleep through them then get up in the morning to find out the results of the storm. However, this year, Bryan wanted to stay up and watch the election polls and the announcement of our new president. He reasoned that this was to be a historical and important event no matter the outcome and we should be awake to experience it. He was right... it definitely left an impression on me.

I think what was most striking was not necessarily who won the election but how people responded to the winner. As we watched the cameras pan around the crowds, I watched thousands of people my age of all races rejoice as their favorite candidate gave his speech. What really disturbed and broke me was the hope I saw in each of their tear-brimming eyes. The hope that no man can fulfill, not even Senator McCain. The hope for a new life that only Jesus Christ can provide.

Please don't misunderstand me... I do not think Obama is the antichrist... I think that is a ridiculous statement. I was just reminded how lost America is as a people, especially my generation. We all want a Savior... just some have a misplaced hope that this will be a polished political leader with a smooth tongue and a campaign for change. May we not be caught in the same mindset of deceit that any man can fulfill our deepest desires and longing. May we place all of our hope in Jesus Christ, the author and finisher of our faith.

Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded,
set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at
the revelation of Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 1:13

No comments:

Pin This!