Tuesday, March 2, 2010

How Easy Is Your Life?


It's 3:15 in the morning, and I can't sleep. I have been up since 2:30. My nose is hurting around my fracture site (for those of you who don't know, I broke my nose being clumsy on Valentine's day). I'm miserable. After trying to go back to sleep in vain, I decided to come into the living room and begin reading through the Gospels.

God begins to hammer me once again with His truth. The Word begins to cut out my heart of stone and replace it with His heart of flesh. Everything I am reading is lining up perfectly with where I am struggling right now and with what Bryan has been preaching this week at the revival here in Memphis.

You see, I am unquestionably selfish. My ambition is far too often worldly, and once again, I am convicted that I have taken my eyes of Jesus as being my ultimate treasure. For the past few days, I have been in culture shock. It's easy to forget how poor the Coast is until you go into a more educated place like where we are staying- Cordova.

The houses here are perfect. Absolutely beautiful. Every single person within sight appears to be living out the American dream. Nice houses. Super nice neighborhoods. New cars. Even fancy gas stations with great architecture. It's easy to get sucked into this kind of world and only want that. It's way too easy.

That's where Matthew 7:13-14 struck me tonight. "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."

Let those words sink in and meditate on them. How easy is your life? If everything is always going your way, it may mean that you are walking through the wide gate. Scary.

My prayer is that you will join me tonight and ask yourself. Which gate am I walking through? The verses that follow in Matthew 7:21-23 are the most terrifying verses to me found in all of the Gospels.

Jesus taught saying, "Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord," will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name? And then will I declare to them, I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness."

May we never hear those words.

How easy is your life?

No comments:

Pin This!