Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bitter Relief


A few weeks ago I was subpoenaed to appear as a witness for a patient I cared for while a nurse at Blair E. Batson. Austin Watkins, only 4 years old, was murdered cruelly by his aunt and grandmother... one of the worst starvation cases Mississippi has ever seen. At his death, Austin was only 19 pounds. He had been given only water for 2 weeks- no food at all. His organs inevitably shut down. The case against his family was this month, and I have to admit I have been dreading it. Austin was a precious kid, and I was really attached to him. I have really had a hard time understanding how someone could treat a child this way. I just received a phone call from the District Attorney's office, and both his aunt and grandmother plead guilty this morning. They now have been given life without parole in prison.

While I am very thankful I will not have to be part of this stressful trial now, I feel bitter that his unrepentant relatives have received such a merciful sentence. I think it is unfair to taxpayers to have to support wicked people for the rest of their lives. I think it is unjust that those who took Austin's life will get to relax in an air conditioned cell, eat until their bellies are full, and watch soap operas for the rest of their days. Murder should be treated seriously. Take a life intentionally- expect to lose yours. Starve a child- expect to be starved- not well fed. Our justice system is twisted.

No comments:

Pin This!